Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hunter Mountain Photo Contest #01 Ends FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1!

As some of you know, we're running a huge photo competition: the grand prize winner gets a spot for his or her photo in our Resort Magazine ,which will be released in October. Top 5 winners will also receive an unlimited lift ticket, good for the rest of the 07-08 season.

The deadline for the contest is February 1, so if you're thinking of turning in photos, please send them in ASAP! Don't forget to check the guidelines page for information and rules.

4 comments:

Tom Harrison said...

Cool idea. I think I will enter.

Re: 300 dpi... most consumer-grade digital cameras output JPEGs at 72 dpi by default. Even the default configurations on many digital SLRs are set to record JPEGs at only 72 dpi. I'd wager a guess that you'd only be able to get 240+ dpi images from folks who've converted their own JPEGs from RAW files.

Jessica said...

Lower than 300 is fine, but people are literally sending me thumbnails. I can't even enter them into the contest, regardless of how good they are, because they will never print. I have a $350 Canon Powershot S3 IS that gives 300 dpi, I think technology is improving pretty quickly...maybe I can't get 300 dpi for every one, but I should be able to get something better than a small thumbnail.

Tom Harrison said...

That works. I feel your pain - I deal with the same problem very often. "No, I cannot print an 300px-wide image at good quality!"

But yeah - the cameras may be able to do it, but my experience has been that option is off by default since the web is largely a 72 dpi medium.

Jessica said...

I guess for the next contest I should post some additional info. I really only have a few printable photos that have been submitted -- the best ones I have are super small, 640x480 maybe. So sad!