Sunday, October 01, 2006

Frequenty Asked Questions (FAQ)

Last modified: 1/9/11

What IS a blog?
Blog is short for weblog. A weblog is a journal (or newsletter) that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or the Web site. (definition from ByTownInternet)

You're a ski resort: why do you have a blog?
We figured it'd be a good way to allow people to keep in touch with what's happening at Hunter Mountain. Our website posts features, but with a blog, real-time news can be posted very quickly and the news spreads faster. Because the blog logo is on our main site, a lot of traffic is redirected here and people remember it because there's always fresh news.

How often do you update? I try to update every few days with news. At times it will be updated every day, and other times it stay the same for a few days, then have 5 or so posts in a single day. Mountain news tends to be pretty unpredictable.

Why can't you update more often? I am one person and have a lot of other responsibilities. I am the blogger here, but there is absolutely no way I can constantly post in the blog and do everything else I have to do, so please be understanding if you want new pictures and there are no new pictures posted. Generally I am the only one doing the posting, and I do not have time to post all day. Most mountains do not have blogs for this very reason.

Why have a website and a blog? As I said, the main point of the website is to carry feature information...our programs, events, statistics and information about the resort and its surroundings. The purpose of the blog is to carry fresh news, photos and event coverage, keeping everyone who's interested up to date as much as possible with what's going on here. That way, while one person is handling the website and feature content, I can run out and take photos and capture news, and take the pressure off the webmaster.

Who posts in this thing?
I set this blog up so anyone who wants to post will be able to -- our webmaster Steve and a few other members of management will be involved from time to time. I moderate all comments and contributions and post the news as much as I can. To answer the original question, though, I'm Jessica, the communications director.

Can I say something? Of course! The best way to say something is to comment on a post in the blog, but you can also e-mail me or fill out one of the comments forms on the other websites. If you comment, chances are if it needs a response, you'll get one.

I posted a comment, but it hasn't shown up. Why is this? This could be happening for two reasons: (1) I have yet to approve the comment, or (2) your comment contained something offensive. The blog is not a venue for complaints: it is a way for customers to get news and information. If you'd like to send a complaint, please send it directly to me via e-mail, or call 800-HunterMtn and speak to the operator.

Because this blog is operated by Hunter Mountain, we cannot tolerate offensive language, subject matter or derogatory remarks about people, operations, policies, pricing or other resorts. If your comment was general and has yet to be approved, you won't be waiting long: I approve comments throughout the day, every day.

Can I send in pictures or stories? Of course you can. Send them into questions#huntermtn.com.

I have a problem with my reservation...who do I call? NOT ME! Call 1-800-HunterMtn and ask for reservations or dial extension 2200 for ticket information.

What's the mailing list all about? If you sign up for the mailing list, you get a lot of the updates in your inbox. You get the eBlasts that go out (reminders, sales, etc) but you do NOT get everything. Contributions, stories and other things will be posted in this blog that do not get mailed out to everyone. The email list gives people the opportunity to keep track of sales and events at the resort.

How do I use RSS feeds? Check out this page at about.com to find out how to use RSS feeds. To find our feed, click the Atom Feed button on the left sidebar of the blog, and load the URL into your feed device. For questions about the feeds, ask me.

I'll be adding more questions soon, too.
Want to submit a question? E-mail me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I keep having to sign up for google each time I try to post a comment. Get incorrect password message. What's the correct sequence?


Thanks...

Jessica said...

Hey there,

You can go here to retrieve your password:

http://www.blogger.com/forgot.g

Sorry to have to make everyone sign up, we were getting spammed pretty hard and I had to lock anonymous posts out.

Anonymous said...

I have been using the same password each time and it says incorrect. The only way I can post is by re-registering each time.

Jessica said...

I am really sorry but I have no idea what to tell you. Google runs this blog -- it's a free service -- the only way to fix technical issues like that is to call/email them.

Anonymous said...

jessica, i like how u had put the vids of the people crashin for the pond skimming but i would also like to see the vids of the peole that made it across because i wanted to see my vid


thanks

nimbleknee said...

first time here. i was wondering, i come up every year in feb with the wife and kids and stay 2 or 3 days midweek. everytime i come up most of hunter one is closed.the last report i read 1/29 said upper highlands,upper hemlocks, west side glide, central park,lower highlands, hidaway and rip van winkle are closed. i been dying to ski upper highlands and hemlocks. i know they race there but cmon! my kids also love the others mentioned. i coming up again feb 11 for a few days what are my chances those are open. i think we have enough snow don't you?